Friday, January 2, 2009

Collars & Leashes

People don't realize how important it is to have the right collar and leash, and have a enjoyable walk. The biggest thing I laugh about is seeing someone with a large dog and one of those retractable leashes. They let their dog get way out there and expect them to come back with the retraction. Bad set up. Personally, I don't think those leashes are good for anything but little dog's at the park that want to sniff everything. To me that's not enjoyable! Even being a little dog owner, I want my dog to walk beside me and have fun. Small dog's, once obedience trained, should have a harness. That's the ONLY thing harnesses are good for. As long as you have control of your dog they can be used. Most of your medium to large dogs should have a training collar or a choke chain for maximum control. I use a Martingale type collar on my dogs that gives you a good corrective jerk when needed. A nylon or leather six foot leash works the best. Always ask a professional trainer, not a Petsmart salesman, which set up will give you the best results.

No comments: